Lost In A Small PA Town

Snippets of my life withOUT a live-in lover and her elderly father that just moved in.(again!)(Now it's out again, oh that revolving door!) Letting go of old feelings and seeking out new ones.

Name:
Location: Christmas Tree Capital, Western PA

Where being Lost takes on a whole new meaning..

Friday, April 15, 2005

My favorite place in Canada..

is the Welland Canal. By chance I got to ride the freighter Capt. Ralph Tucker. I became a canal junkie when I met the lover. I sat by and drove the canal in my truck watching the big ships go through the locks. Eight Locks in total; but I usually went from one to seven daily when I was there. To me this was amazing to watch. Here in Pa theres nothing that matches the canal in Canada. Not Pittsburgh thats for sure. Any way; one day I was watching them restock supplies below lock 1; and I being nosy; I started talking to the guys; I asked one if maybe somehow I could come aboard for travel thru on lock? He asked the captain and he said he had no problems with this. YA Hoo! He had to get some clearance and I had to sign a waiver. I would have signed in blood if I had too...
I gave him my cell number and he called when I could board and where. He said I could board at lock 2 and go to locked 3. Remember I had to get the lover to drive the truck from lock 2 to 3 about 3 miles; run and get disposable cameras for me to carry on board and a gift for the captain all in a half hour. But I was ready.. When I boarded the guys were great; remember they have been in the lakes for three weeks or more and not have been in the present of a woman for awhile. They had all showered and looked their best for the guest that came aboard. The captain was great; I was up in the wheel house and got see how they maneuver these big lakers...Oh what fun I had; the tour of the galley and the sleeping areas, the laker was carrying brine to be delivered to the great lakes.
All to soon we were entering lock 3; believe it or not theres only 1 foot on each side of freighter when in the locks. I just hated to get off but I had to. Lock 3 has a visitor center and a platform that people watch the ships transit the lock. I had to get off when the deck of the freighter was even with wall of lock; and walk the plank to do it. It takes about 15 minutes to enter and exit a lock; so by this time I was on the platform waving to the captain and the guys. What an experience...the people on the platform asked how I got on; I just asked and my wish was granted..How cool is that! Today you can't do this (security,911) even though I did this in 2002; it was by chance, once in a lifetime thing....The Capt. Ralph Tucker is no more...sent to the Alang, India shipyards for scrap; but the memories that I have. You can still see the ships at lock 3 on the Welland canal. On this trip to Canada I plan to spent a good part of the day just watching....Hoping and dreaming of another time..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home